Winklebury Development Update
The club has been in communication with both the Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council and Hampshire FA with regards to our impending move into the Winklebury Football Complex to see what impact, if any, the current Coronavirus pandemic is having. We are pleased to confirm that the plans are very much in place and have had confirmation that the money promised by the council is still ring-fenced and the development is going ahead.
The council have issued the tenders for the work and are waiting on the confirmation and are speaking regularly with the Hampshire FA about the final details.
We are still waiting to see what, if any, delay there will be to the start of the works based on the fact that the football complex is currently shut and will be for the duration of the Coronavirus pandemic.
What we can confirm is that we have secured Winchester City for a second season should we need to play there for some of our games should delays occur and we have also asked the Southern League to consider switching some of our initial home games to the away fixture to allow us time to get into our new home.
Currently, we are waiting for confirmation from them.
‘We have an open dialogue with both the Council and the Hants FA so we are getting updated. The important thing is that we have somewhere to play football next season and to secure a ground share was always going to be needed.’ Chairman Terry Brown said ‘it makes sense to stay at Winchester, somewhere we have been welcomed and I would like to thank Winchester City for being as accommodating as they have. We were originally hoping to be in Winklebury at some point in September and we still hope that will be the case but will bring more news as and when we get it.’
We will continue to update everyone as we get more news so stay safe and watch this space.