Sutton Common Rovers 1-5 Basingstoke Town – Match Report

Sutton Common Rovers 1-5 Basingstoke Town

Basingstoke Town dusted themselves down and got back to winning ways in Greater London, thumping 9 man Sutton Common Rovers 5-1 with goals from Anton Rodgers, Lloyd Snell and three from Bradley Wilson.

It was Sutton Common Rovers who began the scoring at Gander Green Lane, with Will Efambe cutting in from wide, belting a low effort across Paul Strudley in the Basingstoke goal to put the Commoners one goal to the good early on.

Only a few minutes later, a defence splitting pass found Brad Wilson through on goal but he was brought down on the edge of the box by Rovers’ Jake Hill, with the referee brandishing an immediate red card.

McKoy Palmer saw an effort drag just wide of the far post on 17 minutes and Basingstoke’s patient attacking play was rewarded 8 minutes later when Wilson, back in a familiar attacking role following his cameo defensive displays in the last couple of games, was fed by Palmer down the left side who pulled Basingstoke level with a composed finish. Wilson getting his fourth goal of the league season.

On the half an hour mark it was Brad Wilson involved again when a poorly timed challenge on him saw Sutton Common Rovers’ Ryan Healy sent off for the second time this season.

‘Stoke, now with a two man advantage almost took the lead on 36 minutes when Ben Cook’s effort was lobbed over the oncoming Rovers’ keeper only for Matt Tanton to clear acrobatically off of the line.

It was all ‘Stoke and on 39 minutes George Reid’s effort had ‘keeper Aaron Bogle beaten but the ball clattered off of the bar. Ben Cook looked to turn and shoot from the rebound but he was again thwarted by the dogged Sutton Common Rovers backline.

Two minutes from half time, Brad Wilson struck again and got Basingstoke in front with a contender for goal of the season. James Haworth’s cross from deep on the left found Wilson who struck a sumptuous  volley in to the top corner, leaving the ‘keeper with no chance.

As the second half began, ‘Stoke were looking to finish the game off early. After efforts from Wilson and Palmer, some good interplay lead to Captain Simon Dunn pulling one across goal for Brad Wilson to finish off his hat trick on the 51st minute.

‘Stoke had more in the tank and not long after replacing Dunn, D’Andre Brown had an effort saved by Bogle again, whose saves throughout the afternoon kept the score down to a relatively respectable level.

Basingstoke continued to dominate proceedings and Anton Rodgers, returning to the starting XI, putting in pulling the strings from the middle of the park throughout the game, got his first for the club on the 64th minute with a tidy side footed finish.

Lloyd Snell was brought on to replace McKoy Palmer on the right for Basingstoke  on the 65th minute and it only took the Academy starlet 7 minutes to complete the scoring. His pacy run from wide on the right was complemented by a missile of a finish, putting his side 5-1 up.

Basingstoke were all but assured of the points and a number of further opportunities to hit Rovers for 6 were hindered by a combination of the Sutton Common Rovers goalkeeper and the woodwork.

It was Basingstoke’s day thanks to an organised, dominant performance and a Wilson hattrick that saw Basingstoke return to Hampshire with an important 3 points which keeps Dan Brownlie’s side in third position in the Isthmian South Central Division.