Basingstoke Town 4-3 Thatcham – Match Report

Basingstoke Town 4-3 Thatcham Town

Match report by Nick Wilson

740 fans were present to witness a dramatic finale to an entertaining tussle between Basingstoke Town and Thatcham at Winklebury Football Complex. The hosts eventually prevailed 4-3 with McKoy Palmer – on as an early substitute for the injured George Reid – thundering home a winner seven minutes into stoppage time after ten-man Thatcham had equalised twice in the final ten minutes.

The home side made a strong start, visiting keeper Jack Hopwood palming a header wide in the first minute before the resultant corner saw a Conor Lynch strike blocked in the six-yard box. Thatcham took the lead with their first attack as a cross was only half-cleared and Daniel Fosuscuffed the loose ball into the bottom corner. Lynch fired two further chances off target before finding the net midway through the first half, only for the linesman’s flag to cut his celebration short.

Thatcham left-back Cameron Rohart-Brown was shown a red card for a challenge on Dan Williamson late in the first half and Basingstoke quickly took advantage, Williamson drawing another foul inside the box allowing Stefan Brown to equalise from the penalty spot. The extra man helped the hosts control the second half, but it took until the 70th minute for Lynch to control Williamson’s cross and pull his shot across Hopwood to complete the comeback and give Basingstoke a 2-1 lead. It should have been enough for the win but after another disallowed Lynch goal, Thatcham levelled the match on 83 minutes as Fosu notched his second from close range after Paul Strudley spilled Nathan Jones’ long-range strike. The late drama was just starting though. Four minutes later, Brown raced clear and squared for Lynch to convert his second of the afternoon and what appeared to be a late winner but in the 95th minute, Lamar Koroma scrambled home the game’s sixth goal, sparking wild celebrations from the ten visiting players. Amazingly though, it still wasn’t enough as Palmer had time to cut in from the left wing and crash a 20-yard strike into the top corner and snatch all three points to keep his side amongst the league’s front runners.

🎥  Film Footage Courtesy of Thatcham Town