Basingstoke Town vs Wimborne Town

Basingstoke 3 - 2 Wimborne
15 Sep 2018 - 15:00The Camrose Stadium, RG22 6EZ


It was just the third home league game of the season for Basingstoke as Wimborne Town made the journey to the Camrose for a match that ended up being well worth the wait for the home fans. 
Basingstoke pushed forward in the early stages but Wimborne took advantage and after a quick one-two, Jack Lovell was left free in the box to finish low across McAdden for the opening goal four minutes in. IT was the perfect start for the visitors who were able to sit back and continue to attack on the break, Lovell’s pace and movement a constant thorn in the side during the first half. 
Louis Kellaway should have doubled the lead as another counter attack led to him being picked out while wide open at the far post but he couldn’t direct his header on target. At the other end a similar chance fell to Sam Deadfield, a right wing cross from Dean Stow being glanced across the face of goal by a defender, the Basingstoke midfielder just unable to guide his header home from close range. 
Both goalkeepers were almost left embarrassed within a couple of minutes of each other soon after. First, Gerard Benfield’s kick fell straight to the feet of Sam Smart who had a first time shot from 40 yards. Despite lifting it over the goalkeeper Benfield was relieved to see the shot land on the roof of his net. Following that, another Lovell run in behind Philby drew McAdden out but the home keeper was second to the ball. Lovell rounded him and from wide on the left lofted the shot past him but Dan Bayliss got back to cover and turn the ball behind for a corner. 
The hosts had started to create a little more but still didn’t look comfortable at the back. Deadfield had a shot deflected through the six yard box and just wide of the post following a George Bennett free kick before another good chance for Lovell was wasted inside the box. 
As the game ticked into the final minute of the first half though, Zidan Akers dragged his side level before the break. With Sam Argent on the sideline receiving treatment, Smart drifted centrally, turning his man and sliding a pass inside Wimborne full back Stefan Penny. Akers raced onto it down the right, shifted the ball onto his right foot and drove it low inside Benfield’s near post. 

Basingstoke managed to create more from open play in the second half, Argent hooking over with his left foot from close range and Smart second by an excellent save after Deadfield’s through ball got him behind the visiting defence. Wimborne had their own chances, Kellaway forced McAdden into a save with a low shot and Luke Burbidge was a constant threat down the right. 

The game took a turn with just over 15 minutes to play as Curtis Young was played through on goal and Stow pulled him back. The referee gave the foul on the edge of the box and showed Stow the red card for denying Young a goalscoring opportunity. The numerical disadvantage seemed to galvanise Basingstoke though and Jason Bristow elected to play with a back three, bringing Shane Hollamby on to partner Philby and Bayliss. 

Despite acquitting themselves well with ten men, Basingstoke were knocked back with five minutes to play by Young. Cutting in from the left side of the box he worked half a yard of space to shoot. Philby stuck out a leg to block the effort and the ball cruelly looped up, wrong footing McAdden and bouncing into the net to give Wimborne a late lead.  

It looked like being game over but Basingstoke didn’t give up. Spurred on by the home support, they were given a late chance to grab a point as Billy Maybury was penalised for a handball in the box. Substitute Callum Bunting stepped up, his first strike beaten back to him and he coolly swept the rebound in to salvage a point for Basingstoke. 

Or so he thought. 

Straight from the restart Dan Bayliss won the ball and picked out Bunting down the left hand side. Smart made a run inside him, received the ball and drove into the box from the left. As he was forced away from goal he spotted Dan Collier lurking and teed up the midfielder to slam a low shot through the crowded penalty area and into the bottom corner to spark wild scenes in the stands and complete a miraculous comeback.


Basingstoke team: Colm McAdden; Dean Stow, Harry Philby, Dan Bayliss, Jim Orvis (Shane Hollamby); Dan Collier, George Bennett; Sam Smart, Sam Deadfield, Zidan Akers (Jack McKnight); Sam Argent (c)(Callum Bunting). 
Subs not used: Liam Hunt, Ben Wright. 

Wimborne team: Gerard Benfield; Jordan Lee, Billy Maybury (c), Sam Davidson, Stefan Penny; James Stokoe; Luke Burbidge, Louis Kellaway (Luke Holmes), Lee Francis, Curtis Young; Jack Lovell.
Subs not used: Scott Arnold, Rhys Owen, Aiden Shepherd, David Walsh.