Basingstoke Town vs Llantwit Major

Basingstoke 3 - 0 Llantwit Major
04 Aug 2018 - 13:00The Camrose, RG22 6EZ


It was a fitting end to Basingstoke Town’s pre-season with a convincing 3-0 win over Llantwit Major FC.

The visitors today have had a tremendous rise through the Welsh Football League. They were and still are a community run club who have now managed two consecutive promotions. Firstly, being crowned champions of the Welsh League Division 3 in 2016/17 and then champions once more in Division 2. Will they end up league winners once again in 2019?

On a warm and humid day at the Camrose, Basingstoke Town found themselves in control of the match for large portions with small glimpses of the attacking talent that Llantwit possess. Goals in both halves helped Basingstoke to finish pre-season in the best possible manner and will hope to continue this momentum into the regular season, which starts next week versus Walton Casuals.

The opening minutes of the contest were a close affair with neither team able to grasp hold of the match. A few chances came and went with Sam Argent coming the closest after some fantastic buildup play from Sam Deadfield, who also hit the post after a jinking run. 

It wasn’t till the 34th minute where class prevailed from Deadfield. Finding himself just outside the box for a freekick, 25 yards or so, he was able to curl the ball into the bottom right hand corner and give the opposing goalkeeper no chance to try and keep the attempt out. 

The goal before half time then allowed the home team to take control of the match and become more assertive in their ability to play the ball around in midfield.


It didn’t take long after the second half resumed for Basingstoke to add to their tally and make it 2-0. Sam Smart managed to create space on the byline and then crossed the ball in for Argent to head home from close range. 

Whilst the result at this time might be have been confirmed, it didn’t stop Basingstoke Town from trying to add to their tally. George Bennett cut in from the byline on the right and shot towards goal, only for the crossbar to deny him on that occasion. Even with the hot conditions at the Camrose, the home team continued to push on and try to really stretch their opponents across the pitch.

In added on time at the end, Basingstoke Town were able to put the finishing touches on the game and score another for 3-0. McKnight was able to swing in a perfect cross from the left hand side, creating confusion for the defence, till captain Charlie Kennedy managed to smash the ball home into the roof of the net.